Tyne United Rowing Club History

Tyne United was originally founded after the Second World War by the merger of several professional clubs in Gateshead. These clubs were Empire RC, Hawthorn RC, Gateshead and District RC, Walker RC, and Wallsend RC. Tyne United as it was ceased in the 1960’s but from the ashes in 2007 Tyne United Rowing Club was ressurected and is now standing toe to toe with the more established clubs in our region.

The following historical documents can be downloaded from this page:

  • Gateshead Observer: This the front page issue from 7th August 1852 and refers to Talkin Tarn Regatta.
  • Tynemouth Boat House Lease 1872: A lease for the boathouse of Percy Amateur Rowing Club. This is reproduced by the kind permission of the Duke of Northumberland Estates Office.
  • Watercolour, Newburn: A watercolour of Newburn around 1819.
  • Ryton Rowing Club 1900 Lease: A lease and location plan of the boathouse of Ryton Rowing Club. This is reproduced by the kind permission of the Duke of Northumberland Estates Office.
  • Newburn Rowing Club 1880: A lease for the boathouse of Newburn Rowing Club. This is reproduced by the kind permission of the Duke of Northumberland Estates Office.
  • Renforth 1871: “Death At The Oar” – From the New York Harper’s Weekly 9th Sept 1871.
  • River Tyne 1700s: This is probably an admiralty chart from the early 1700s. This is reproduced by the kind permission of the Duke of Northumberland Estates Office.
  • Old Regatta Programmes: Tyne Regatta 1868 | Durham Regatta 1937